NW Dermatology Institute is one of the few hair loss referral centers in the United States. Our office serves patients throughout the Pacific Northwest. Our providers have a passionate interest in the diagnosis and medical treatment of hair loss and hair disorders. Our institute also conducts cutting edge clinical trials related to new hair loss treatments.
Common Hair Disorders We Diagnose and Treat
NW Dermatology Institute treats many common hair disorders in both men and women. If you're suffering from any of the following, the NW Dermatology Institute team is ready to help you.
- Alopecia areata
- Female pattern hair loss
- Telogen effluvium
- Lichen planopilaris
- Frontal fibrosing alopecia
- Male pattern hair loss
- Folliculitis decalvans
- Discoid lupus erythematosus
- Hair shaft disorders
- Congenital hair disorders
If you're dealing with hair loss but aren't sure why it's happening, the NW Dermatology Institute team can diagnose the problem and help you treat it in the best way.
What Causes Hair Loss?
There's a very long list of possible causes. In some cases, there's not just one clear cause but may be several contributing conditions. Possible causes include:
- Family history of hair loss
- Hormonal changes and medical conditions
- Medications and supplements
- Radiation therapy affecting the head
- A very stressful event
- Certain hairstyles and treatments, like constant tight ponytail or bun
- Autoimmune disorders like some types of lupus
- Excessive weight loss
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Thyroid abnormalities like hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism
Symptoms of Hair Loss
The symptoms of hair loss can be different depending on what kind of hair loss you're dealing with, but you'll typically have at least one of the following issues.
- Gradual hair thinning on top of head
- Circular or patchy bald spots
- Excessive shedding of hair
- Hair loss all over the body
- Itching and soreness
- Scalp scarring
- Eyebrow and eyelash loss
- Scalp redness and scaliness
No matter what kind of hair disorder you're suffering from, the hair loss specialists at NW Dermatology Institute can give you answers and solutions. Reach out to the team for help now.